Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Six weeks

Today marks my sixth week of pregnancy. It feels like it's going very, very slowly, but I know by the time my due date rolls around, I'll look back and wonder where all the time went.

This Thursday, we're meeting with Nora, the midwife. It's just to ask questions, get to know each other and gather enough information to make our final decision about whether or not we're going to have the baby with her. I'm really looking forward to it!

Over the weekend, my mom and I spent almost all of Saturday at the new baby and maternity stores at the Galleria in Roseville. We hit Janie & Jack (so cute!) and a bunch of others, including Destination Maternity. The maternity store had a fake belly (seven month bump) that you could put on to see how you'll look in a few months and see what will fit you. It was SO fun! I looked pretty hilarious, and it was very surreal. It also allowed me to pick out a summer-friendly shirt that my mom sneakily bought for me while I was making one of my many pit stops.

I also bought the first clothes for the baby. I know, I know, it's freakishly early, but it was a deal too good to pass up - two items for three dollars! One is a boyish striped onesie (I figure if we have a girl, we'll probably know someone who's having a boy), and the other item is a pair of SUPER soft, semi-unisex pants. They're so cute and tiny!

How I'm Feeling
The morning sickness has settled in. Nothing too bad yet, but brushing my teeth in the morning is torture. This morning, I just carried around a box of Life cereal and munched away, which really helped. I overdosed on saltines the other day and haven't been able to stand the thought of them since, which is unfortunate. Other than that, I'm still very tired (went to sleep at 9:45 last night) and in addition to the morning nausea that lingers long after morning is over, I have a few VERY strong food aversions.

What Baby's Doing
(Taken from babycenter.com)
This week's major developments: The nose, mouth, and ears that you'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his arms and legs by protruding buds. His heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his body. His intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his lungs has appeared. His pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil bean.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! 6 Weeks! :D .. And yay for maternity shopping. I'm jealous!! I'd love to try on that belly. Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored trying on the baby bump and shopping and dreaming all about my baby. I'm so excited for yooooooooooooooooooou!

    ReplyDelete